Start Your Career With Us
Fossil Rim invests in the future by providing formalized training to foster talented young people into the professions of wildlife conservation and education, veterinary medicine and the care of husbandry and wildlife. Many of our dedicated, intelligent and hardworking Fossil Rim interns go on to work in zoological, wildlife and conservation fields. Providing quality hands-on conservation training is one of the efforts of which Fossil Rim is most proud.
Types of Internships
We offer several types of internships. Detailed descriptions of each can be found here. Interns generally train five days a week and have two days off. Days off are typically weekdays.
* Animal Health Veterinary Preceptorship: One senior level veterinary student per 6-8 week period throughout the year; fills up 12-18 months in advance.
* Veterinary Technician Internship: One student per season; available spring, summer, and fall. LVT, CVT, or RVT and one year of experience required.
* Prairie Grouse Conservation Internship: Three students during chick season (late March/early April through July/August). Must be finished with college due to the timing of the season. Deadline is March 1st and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
* Children’s Animal Center Internship: Two students per season; available spring, summer, and fall. 2+ years of college required.
* Hoofstock Animal Care Internship: One student per season; available spring, summer, and fall. Undergraduate degree required.
* Rhino Internship: One student per season; available spring, summer, and fall. Undergraduate degree required.
* The Whitfield Collins Carnivore Internship: One student per season; available spring, summer, and fall. Undergraduate required.
* Environmental Education Internship: Two interns for two seasons (January to June; deadline is October 1st. July to November; deadline is March 1st.) Must have undergraduate degree and must live onsite.
Seasons and Application Deadlines
Many of our internships are available in the spring, summer, and fall. Start and end dates are typically flexible depending on school schedules and outgoing and incoming interns’ availability. For internships offered three times per year, the seasons and deadlines are as follows:
* SPRING (January-May) deadline for applications is October 1st
* SUMMER (May-August) deadline is March 1st
* FALL (August/September-December) deadline is June 1st
International students must have a J1 or B1 visa before arrival. Fossil Rim will not sponsor or assist with the visa process. Interns cannot come on a visiting visa.
Stipend and Housing
A $300-per-month stipend (for expenses) and free onsite housing are provided. If required, transportation to and from training area will be provided.
Housing includes a bedroom (single or double occupancy), shared bathroom and common area, shared kitchen with basic supplies (pots, pans, dishes, silverware), and utilities. Interns are required to supply all of their food, towels, sheets, pillows, and personal items.
* All interns must have a driver’s license. (Preceptees may be exempt; determined on a case-by-case basis.)
*All selected interns and preceptees will be subject to a background check and drug test. Fossil Rim is a drug-free workplace.
*You may apply for multiple internships.
*Submit your application on time.
*Double check that you put the correct name of the facility (Fossil Rim Wildlife Center) and internship in your cover letter.
*Indicate what season you are applying for.
*If in doubt, you can address the cover letter to “To Whomever It Concerns.”
*If you want to apply for multiple seasons (such as spring and summer), you must apply separately for spring and for summer.
*If you have questions, please contact the Intern Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. DO NOT have a parent or other person email or call on your behalf.